480 Lawrence Way, Walnut Creek
(925) 937-4992 for recorded information or for more information on the closure, please contact Lois Courchaine, (925) 906-1801, ext. 107
Valley Waste Management operates a drop-off/buy-back recycling center for the CCCSWA. The Center is located on Lawrence Way in Walnut Creek (near the 680 north entrance ramp from Main Street). The buyback center is open Tuesday through Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and green waste services until 4:30 p.m.
Drop-off is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
Residents are encouraged to take recyclable materials that will not fit in their recycling cart to the Recycling Center.
PLEASE NOTE: The Recycling Center does not accept cash.
The Recycling Center accepts many items including:
- Aluminum Cans: The Center does redeem "California Redeemable" containers and will also accept them for recycling.
- Aluminum Scrap:includes lawn furniture, screen doors and windows (without glass), ladders, etc.
- Bi-metal and Steel Cans: The Center will redeem "California Redeemable" bi-metal cans and will also accept them for recycling.
- Cardboard: Only corrugated cardboard (with ridges on its edge) is acceptable. Boxes must be broken down and flattened.
- Ferrous/Non-Ferrous Metal: All metals except large appliances such as washers, dryers, stoves, refrigerators and hot water heaters. No paint cans, gas bottles or propane tanks.
- Glass:The Center buys back "California Redeemable" containers. Clear and colored glass containers are accepted.
- Grocery Bags: Brown paper grocery bags. Remember, they can also be reused at the store.
- Junk Mail: It should be opened and sorted. Remove photographs, plastic inserts, and adhesive backed stickers.
- Newspaper: Newspapers and their inserts can be recycled. The newspapers can be loose, bundled or bagged, but not in plastic bags.
- Paperboard: Includes cereal boxes, toilet paper rolls, shirt cardboard and shoe boxes.
- Office Paper: All office paper can also be recycled, including colored, laser, letterhead, typing and copy paper, and uncoated fax paper.
- Magazines: All types of magazines are accepted.
- Plastic (#1&2): The Center will redeem "California Redeemable" containers and will also accept them for recycling.
- Plastic (#3-5 & 7): The Center accepts containers with these numbers for recycling.
- Telephone Books: All sizes of telephone books are accepted.
The Recycling Center will accept the following items for a small fee:
- Motor-oil - $1.00 per gallon
- Antifreeze - $3.00 per gallon
- Green Waste - During the center's hours from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. you may drop off yard clippings for a fee of $9.40 per cubic yard for service area residents and $15.00 per cubic yard for non-service residents and commercial customers. No more than six (6) cubic yards are allowed for any single load. Late afternoon drop-off may be denied if capacity is at max.
- Wooden pallets - Wooden pallets and wood debris are accepted for a fee of $12.00 per cubic yard. Treated, stained or painted wood are not acceptable.
Compost for Sale!
The Recycling Center now sells 1.5 cubic foot bags of compost made from yard clippings collected from residents in central Contra Costa County for $4.00 per bag or $25.00 per cubic yard.
- Compost bins made of recycled plastic are available for $42.21/ea.
Other Recycling Centers - click on the link below to find other locations for buyback services.