Backyard Composting Bill Reduction - $1.50 monthly reduction from Allied Waste Services Garbage/Recycling Bill
The recertification process has closed. If for some reason you are no longer receiving a discount please call our office at (925) 906-1801 ext. 306 and leave your contact information. A staff person will call you back within 24 hours, Monday through Friday.
- Composting systems may include open or contained systems used to compost yard waste and other organic materials. Compost systems must be "managed" to promote material decomposition. Management measures may include preparation of materials such as cutting or chipping to reduce size, periodic aeration, and addition of moisture.
- Compost piles or bins should not be located near any property line or building and should be designed and maintained to prevent fires.
- Food waste must be buried and covered by yard waste to mask odors and prevent attracting and harboring flies, rodents, and other pests. Compost bins containing food waste should also covered.
- No certified system shall contain the following:
- Fish, meat, dairy, or animal products;
- Large items that slow down the composting process;
- Animal or pet feces (other than dairy or poultry manure); and
- Non-organic items.
I agree to maintain and use my compost system throughout the year, and follow the backyard composting guidelines, to properly maintain the system, to allow inspection of the system to correct odor or rodent problems and recertify my system annually. These guidelines are not intended to supercede any local laws or ordinances that regulate home composting in your community.